Akshaya Tritiya: A Promise of Abundance and Prosperity
Akshaya Tritiya is an auspicious festival observed especially by Hindus and Jains across India. A festival that solicits good luck, fortune and prosperity, Akshaya Tritiya is considered propitious for the fruition of any endeavors. Also known as Akti or Akha Teej, Akshaya Tritiya is celebrated on the Shukla Paksha Tritiya of the Hindu month of Vaisakha. In the Gregorian Calendar, Akshaya Tritiya, thus, usually falls in the month of April or May.
Akshaya Tritiya 2023 was on April 22 Saturday
For the detailed Panchang of Akshaya Tritiya, click here.
When is Akshaya Tritiya celebrated?
Akshaya Tritiya is celebrated on the third day of the Shukla paksha of the Indian month of Vaisakh. According to the Gregorian calendar, this falls in the month of April-May. It is on this day that both the Sun and the moon are said to be at their planetary best. This day is also known as 'Akha Teej'
Important Timings On Akshaya Tritiya 2023
|Sunrise||April 22, 2023 6:04 AM|
|Sunset||April 22, 2023 6:46 PM|
|Tritiya Tithi Start||April 22, 2023 7:49 AM|
|Tritiya Tithi Ends||April 23, 2023 7:47 AM|
|Akshaya Tritiya Puja Muhurat||April 22, 6:04 AM - April 22, 12:25 PM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ] See More|
Significance of Akshaya Tritiya
Astrologically, on the day of Akshaya Tritiya, the Sun and the Moon are in their brightest phase. They occupy the highest position, emitting the most light on that day. The planet Venus is also in its brightest position. It is believed that the energies in the world meet linearly, making an amplitude of zero degree. This phenomenon forms a sort of cosmic reset, or punarpravartanam of the energies, which makes way to stimulate a wave of positivity and prosperity.
The third day, or the Tritiya of Shukla Paksha of the Vaisakha month is Akshaya Tritiya. As written in the Narad Puran, Akshaya Tritiya was when the Treta Yuga began. The holy rites performed on this Tritiya is believed to be made everlasting, or Akshaya. The Satya Yuga and the Treta Yuga are known to have begun in the brighter half, or the Shukla Paksha of the Vaisakha month, while the Dvapar Yuga began in the Krishna Paksha of the Magha month and Kali Yuga began in the Krishna Paksha of Bhadrapada month.
Akshaya Tritiya solicits wealth, good luck and fortune
On this day, devotees worship Narayana, the preceptor of the universe with flowers and unguents. They also take a dip in the holy water of the Ganges to be liberated from all earthly sins. As per the Narad Purana, devotees should worship Lord Vishnu with unbroken rice grains, mix them with water and cleanse themselves in it. They must also feed Brahmanas, who are devoted to Lord Vishnu, with flour ground from barley. The Brahmanas who perform the rites on this day are said to attain Vishnu’s blessings, and is bowed to by other Devas.
In Jainism, on the day of Akshaya Tritiya, the first Tirthankara Lord Rishabhadeva received his first aahaar (food) after observing a fast for over a year. Lord Rishabhadeva, who had spent six months in meditation, spent another six months in search of someone who would offer him his first aahaar with the right rituals in proper discipline. It was only after this span that he met King Shreyansa of Hastinapur. King Shreyansa comprehended and performed the discipline of aahaar-charya from the memories of his previous life, and it was only when he offered Lord Rishabhadeva some sugarcane juice did the Tirthankara break his fast. Thus, Akshaya Tritiya became an auspicious day. In honor of Lord Rishabhadeva, who is also known as Lord Adinath, devotees observe a fast on the day of Akshaya Tritiya.
History of Akshaya Tritiya
According to Puranas, Shastras and ancient history, this day marks a lot of important incidents
- Lord Ganesha and Ved Vyasa strated writing the epic Mahabharata on this day.
- This day is also celebrated as the birth anniversary of Lord Parashurama, the sixth incarnation of Lord Vishnu.
- On this day, Goddess Annapurna was born.
- On this day, Lord Krishna bestowed wealth and monetary gains on his poor friend Sudama who had come to his rescue for help.
- According to the Mahabharata, on this day Lord Krishna presented the 'akshaya patra' to the pandavas while on their exile. He blessed them with this bowl that would continue to produce unlimited amount of food that would never leave them hungry.
- On this day, the River Ganges descended from the heaven on earth.
- It is on this day that Kubera worshipped Goddess Lakshmi and thus was assigned the job of being the treasurer of Gods.
- In Jainism, this day is celebrated to commemorate Lord Adinatha, their first God.
Rituals during Akshaya Tritiya
- Devotees of Vishnu worship the deity on this day by keeping a fast. Later, charity is done by distributing rice, salt, ghee, vegetables, fruits and clothes to the poor. Tulsi water is sprinkled all around as a symbol of Lord Vishnu.
- In Eastern India, this day commences as the first ploughing day for the upcoming harvest season. Also, for businessmen, Lord Ganesha and Goddess Lakshmi are worshipped before starting a new audit book for the next financial year. This is known as 'halkhata'.
- On this day, many people buy gold and gold jewellery. As gold is symbolic of good fortune and wealth, buying this is considered pious on this day.
- People plan weddings and long journeys on this day.
- New business ventures, construction work are started on this day.
- Other rituals include taking a holy bath in the Ganges, offering barley into a sacred fire and making donations and offerings on this day.
- Jains complete their year long tapasya on this day and end their worship by drinking sugarcane juice.
- Performing spiritual activities, meditation and chanting holy mantras is considered important to ensure good fortune in the future.
- Devotees of lord Krishna embalm the deity with sandalwood paste on this day. It is believed that on doing so, the person is bound to reach the heaven after death.
Akshaya Tritiya FAQs
1) Did Treta Yuga start on Akshaya Tritiya?
On the Tritiya of Shukla Paksha of the Vaisakha month is Akshaya Tritiya. The Narad Purana claims that Akshaya Tritiya was when the Treta Yuga began.
Satya Yuga (Krita Yuga): Kartika Shukla Paksha Navami.
Treta Yuga: Vaisakha Shukla Paksha Tritiya.
Dvapara Yuga: Magha Amavasya.
Kali Yuga: Bhadrapada Krishna Paksha Trayodashi.
2) Why is it regarded as auspicious to buy gold on Akshaya Tritiya?
Kubera is exceptionally wealthy that he attained the status of the God of wealth and riches, and it was on the day of Akshaya Tritiya that he was appointed as the Treasurer of the Gods by Lord Shiva. It is believed that anything bought and secured on the day of Akshaya Tritiya will proliferate and multiply, and anything performed on this day will attain success. Therefore, it is considered auspicious to buy gold and valuables alike on Akshaya Tritiya.
Akshaya Tritiya festival dates between 2020 & 2030
|2020||Sunday, 26th of April|
|2021||Friday, 14th of May|
|2022||Tuesday, 3rd of May|
|2023||Saturday, 22nd of April|
|2024||Friday, 10th of May|
|2025||Wednesday, 30th of April|
|2026||Sunday, 19th of April|
|2027||Sunday, 9th of May|
|2028||Thursday, 27th of April|
|2029||Wednesday, 16th of May|
|2030||Sunday, 5th of May|