Akshaya Tritiya is one of the most holy and auspicious days celebrated by the Hindus across the country. It is believed that anything that commences on this day will always emerge victorious. This day is thus symbolic of good luck, success and fortune gains.
Akshaya Tritiya 2019 is on May 07 Tuesday
13 days to go for the event
When is Akshaya Tritiya celebrated?
Akshaya Tritiya is celebrated on the third day of the Shukla paksha of the Indian month of Vaisakh. According to the Gregorian calendar, this falls in the month of April-May. It is on this day that both the Sun and the moon are said to be at their planetary best. This day is also known as 'Akha Teej'
History of Akshaya Tritiya
According to mythology and ancient history, this day marks a lot of important incidents
- Lord Ganesha and Ved Vyasa strated writing the epic Mahabharata on this day.
- This day is also celebrated as the birth anniversary of Lord Parashurama, the sixth incarnation of Lord Vishnu.
- On this day, Goddess Annapurna was born.
- On this day, Lord Krishna bestowed wealth and monetary gains on his poor friend Sudama who had come to his rescue for help.
- According to the Mahabharata, on this day Lord Krishna presented the 'akshaya patra' to the pandavas while on their exile. He blessed them with this bowl that would continue to produce unlimited amount of food that would never leave them hungry.
- On this day, the River Ganges descended from the heaven on earth.
- It is on this day that Kubera worshipped Goddess Lakshmi and thus was assigned the job of being the treasurer of Gods.
- In Jainism, this day is celebrated to commemorate Lord Adinatha, their first God.
Rituals during Akshaya Tritiya
- Devotees of Vishnu worship the deity on this day by keeping a fast. Later, charity is done by distributing rice, salt, ghee, vegetables, fruits and clothes to the poor. Tulsi water is sprinkled all around as a symbol of Lord Vishnu.
- In Eastern India, this day commences as the first ploughing day for the upcoming harvest season. Also, for businessmen, Lord Ganesha and Goddess Lakshmi are worshipped before starting a new audit book for the next financial year. This is known as 'halkhata'.
- On this day, many people buy gold and gold jewellery. As gold is symbolic of good fortune and wealth, buying this is considered pious on this day.
- People plan weddings and long journeys on this day.
- New business ventures, construction work are started on this day.
- Other rituals include taking a holy bath in the Ganges, offering barley into a sacred fire and making donations and offerings on this day.
- Jains complete their year long tapasya on this day and end their worship by drinking sugarcane juice.
- Performing spiritual activities, meditation and chanting holy mantras is considered important to ensure good fortune in the future.
- Devotees of lord Krishna embalm the deity with sandalwood paste on this day. It is believed that on doing so, the person is bound to reach the heaven after death.
Important Timings On Akshaya Tritiya
|Sunrise||07-May-2019 05:54 AM|
|Sunset||07-May-2019 18:53 PM|
|Tritiya Tithi Start||07-May-2019 03:18 AM|
|Tritiya Tithi Ends||08-May-2019 02:17 AM|
|Akshaya Tritiya Puja Muhurat||05:54 AM - 12:23 PM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ]|
Akshaya Tritiya festival dates between 2016 & 2026
|2016||Monday, 9th of May|
|2017||Friday, 28th of April|
|2018||Wednesday, 18th of April|
|2019||Tuesday, 7th of May|
|2020||Sunday, 26th of April|
|2021||Friday, 14th of May|
|2022||Tuesday, 3rd of May|
|2023||Saturday, 22nd of April|
|2024||Friday, 10th of May|
|2025||Wednesday, 30th of April|
|2026||Sunday, 19th of April|