Kalabhairav Jayanti also known as ‘Mahakaal Bhairavashtami’ or ‘Kala Bhairav Ashtami’ is a Hindu festival dedicated to Lord Kaal Bhairav, the fearsome form of Lord Shiva. It is observed on the ‘ashtami’ (8th day) of the ‘Krishna Paksha’ (the period of waning phase of moon) during the Hindu lunar month of ‘Kartik’. In the Gregorian calendar, this date corresponds to the months of mid-November to mid-December. The festival of Kalabhairav Jayanti celebrates the birth anniversary of Kala Bhairav, the Hindu God of Time. This day is considered to be more auspicious when it falls on a Tuesday or Sunday as these days are dedicated to Lord Kala Bhairav.
Kalabhairav Jayanti 2018 is on November 29 Thursday
5 months and 8 days to go for the event
Rituals during Kalabhairav Jayanti:
- On the day of Kalabhairav Jayanti devotees worship Lord Kala Bhairav along with Shiva and Parvati with fruits, flowers and sweets. After the completion of puja, they also recite the Kalabhairav Katha.
- Devotees get up early and take a ritualistic bath to perform special pujas and rituals for their dead ancestors on the day of Kalabhairav Jayanti.
- On Kalabhairav Jayanti devotees keep vigil all night and narrate stories of Lord Kala Bhairav and Lord Shiva. They devotedly chant the mantras dedicated to Bhairav and perform the ‘aarti’ at midnight with traditional musical instruments like drums, bells and conches.
- Some devotees even keep strict fasting during the day on Kalabhairav Jayanti. It is a popular belief that the observer of this vrat will be able to remove all obstacles from his/her life and gain all-round success.
- As Lord Kala Bhairav rides on a dog, in some regions dogs are also fed with milk and sweets on this day.
- Special rituals are held on this day in Lord Kala Bhairav’s temples all across India. People visit the temples in the evening and participate in the ‘Shodashopachar Puja’.
Important Timings On Kalabhairav Jayanti
|Sunrise||29-Nov-2018 18:46 PM|
|Sunset||29-Nov-2018 17:36 PM|
|Ashtami Tithi Begins||29-Nov-2018 18:46 PM|
|Ashtami Tithi Ends||30-Nov-2018 16:55 PM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ]|
Significance of Kalabhairav Jayanti:
The day of Kalabhairav Jayanti holds immense significance for followers of Lord Shiva. This day commemorates the birthday of Lord Kala Bhairav who is known to be the fearful manifestation of Lord Shiva. According to the Hindu legends, when Lord Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh were discussing their superiority, Lord Shiva got infuriated by some remarks of Brahma. Lord Bhairav then appeared from Shiva’s forehead and severed one head of Lord Brahma, leaving Him with four heads. Lord Bhairav is seen holding a rod to punish the sinners and rides on a dog. Devotees worship Lord Shiva and Bhairav on the auspicious day of Kalabhairav Jayanti to seek forgiveness for their sins. Worshipping Lord Kala Bhairav on this day bestows good health and success. It is also believed that by worshipping Lord Kala Bhairav all the ‘Rahu’ and ‘Shani’ doshas can be nullified.
Kalabhairav Jayanti festival dates between 2015 & 2025
|2015||Thursday, 3rd of December|
|2016||Monday, 21st of November|
|2017||Friday, 10th of November|
|2018||Thursday, 29th of November|
|2019||Tuesday, 19th of November|
|2020||Monday, 7th of December|
|2021||Saturday, 27th of November|
|2022||Wednesday, 16th of November|
|2023||Tuesday, 5th of December|
|2024||Friday, 22nd of November|
|2025||Wednesday, 12th of November|