Balarama Jayanti is celebrated in different parts of India as the birth anniversary of Lord Balarama who was the elder brother of Lord Krishna. It is observed on Shravan Purnima in many parts of the country and on Akshaya Tritiya day in other regions of India. Some regions also celebrate Balarama Jayanti in the month of Vaisakh that falls either in April or May by the English calendar. This day is known as Hal Shashti or Lalahi Chhath in the Northern states of India. The Braj region celebrates this day by the name of Baladeva Chhath and Randhan Chhath in Gujarat. Mostly, all Vaishnavas young and old, women as well as men celebrate this festival with great joy.
Lord Balarama is known to be the extension of Lord Krishna and all their deities pray on this day and feel certain amount of positive energy in themselves during the puja. It is believed that Lord Balarama is an incarnation of the snake Lord Krishna would sleep on. This day is observed by devotees with the purpose to receive a healthy life with physical strength.
Balarama Jayanti 2019 is on August 21 Wednesday
29 days to go for the event
Rituals of the Vrat
- Like all other fasts, devotee should wake up early and have a bath before getting involved in puja. One has to decorate his/her temple with flowers and leaves especially if you have a Lord Krishna idol.
- All the temples that worship Lord Krishna and Lord Balarama celebrate this day with great enthusiasm. The devotees fast until noon without eating anything at all.
- The idols of Krishna and Balarama in the temples are given holy bath with panchamitra by the devotees and saints.
- All devotees together prepare special bhog to offer God and then share it among themselves as prasad and celebrate the day with lots of bhajans and dance. They sing with a lot of happiness and positivity, which makes all the devotees feel united and powerful.
- The temples in Puri, Punjab, and Ganjam district celebrate this day. Other temples like Baliyana mandir, Baladevjew mandir, Ananta Vasudeva mandir also worship Lord Balarama in the country.
Important Timings On Balarama Jayanti
|Sunrise||August 21, 2019 6:08 AM|
|Sunset||August 21, 2019 6:51 PM|
|Shashthi Tithi Begins||August 21, 2019 5:30 AM|
|Shashthi Tithi Ends||August 22, 2019 7:06 AM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ] See More|
Lord Balarama who is the seventh child of Devaki and Vasudev, has killed many demons and symbolizes strength, in all his deeds, with Lord Krishna. He offers good healthy life to his followers and devotees, for which, they worship him on his birthday.
Balarama Jayanti festival dates between 2016 & 2026
|2016||Tuesday, 23rd of August|
|2017||Sunday, 13th of August|
|2018||Saturday, 1st of September|
|2019||Wednesday, 21st of August|
|2020||Sunday, 9th of August|
|2021||Saturday, 28th of August|
|2022||Wednesday, 17th of August|
|2023||Tuesday, 5th of September|
|2024||Saturday, 24th of August|
|2025||Thursday, 14th of August|
|2026||Wednesday, 2nd of September|