Love spicy starters? Get ready to bite into a lip smacking spicy potato starter. For those who have tried out Bombay's Gunpowder Potatoes, this will be your next fav! It is crispy on the outside, fluffy inside, and loaded with the right blend of spice and salt. Try it!
- 4 Peeled and cubed potatoes large
- 3 Tablespoon Rice Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon Cumin powder (Jeera)
- 1 Teaspoon Chaat powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander powder (Dhaniya)
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Urad Dal
- 1 Tablespoon Chana Dal
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 Cup Oil
How to Make Crispy Potatoes ( Spicy Potato Starters )
- Peel the potatoes. Cut into bite size cubes. Boil with salt , drain and keep aside to cool.
- Then coat the boiled potatoes with rice flour. Keep aside.
- In a pan, dry roast the channa and urad dal and then grind to a fine powder.
- In a small bowl, add powdered dal mix, black pepper, turmeric, red chilli, cumin, chaat masala and coriander powders and mix well.
- Heat a little oil in a pan. Once hot, add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Next, add the powder mix and saute on low heat.
- Now add flour coated potatoes and toss well.
- Let it fry until golden brown and the coating should get semi- crispy.
- Finally toss in curry leaves, mix and serve hot.
If you do not have rice flour, switch to all purpose flour. For more spice, sprinkle a bit garam masala into the oil. That will further boost the flavour of the dish.
You can also replace potatoes with sweet potatoes and try a new exciting variant of the same recipe.