Got leftover idli? And if you have a handful of unexpected guests, then we know the panic that strikes every cook! If you have about 4-5 leftover idlis, this bite size spicy lip smacking Idli 65 will be your best bet! Serve it on cold rainy days and your family will keep asking for more!
How to Make Idli 65
- Quarter each idli into fours and keep aside.
- Take a bowl and add all purpose flour, red chilli powder (1 teaspoon), black pepper powder(1 teaspoon), dark soy sauce (1 teaspoon), and salt. Mix well.
- Pour just enough water to get a smooth and semi thick batter.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. You may need about 2 cups of oil.
- Dip each idli quarter in the batter and coat well.
- Once oil is hot, gently add the batter coated idlis into hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown. Take out from oil with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
- In a small frying pan, add 2 tablespoons of oil. Once hot, add chopped ginger, garlic and onions and saute until light golden.
- Then saute capsicum for a minute until wilted.
- Add remaning chilli powder and black pepper powder and stir well.
- Now add the tomato sauce (2 teaspoons) and remaining soy sauce. Stir well, check seasonings.
- Add the juice of half a lime or about 2 teaspoons of lime juice and stir.
- Toss in the fried idlis. Let the sauce coat well onto the idlis.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of more capsicum.
You can adjust the heat according to the spice level of your preference. This recipe is fairly spicy. So, reduce a pinch and make the same recipe for a less spicier version. You can make the same recipe wih paneer or tofu cubes. They will taste equally good!