Craving for a biriyani now? Why don't you go for the exciting version of Vegetarian biryani? The main star of this recipe are the Soy Chunks! These are rich in protein and one of the best foods to give women who have reached a menopause stage of life. Now, are you on a diet? Then this is one recipe that all weight watchers will love. It is filling, low calorie and plus it is loaded with antioxidants and vitamins.
- 1 Cup Soy Chunks soaked in water
- 1 Cup Thick Curd or Yogurt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric/Haldi powder
- 1 Teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder/Lal Mirchi powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ginger garlic paste
- 1 Tablespoon Biryani masala powder
- Salt as required
- 1/2 Finely cubed carrot
- 1 Finely cubed potato
- 1/2 Finely cubed capsicum
- 1/2 Finely cubed onion
- 2 1/2 Tablespoon Ghee
- 1 BayLeaf/Tej Patta
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 5 Cloves
- 1 Star Anise
- 4 Cardamom/Elaichi
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin/Jeera
- 1 Finely chopped onion
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ginger garlic paste
- 1 Cup Basmati rice, soaked
- Salt as required
- 3 Tablespoon Fried onions/barista
- 1/4 Teaspoon Biryani Masala powder
- 3 Tablespoon Chopped Corainder leaves
- 3 Tablespoon Chopped Mint leaves
- 2 1/4 Cup Water
How to Make Soy Chunks Biryani
- Take the soaked soy chunks and squeeze out the water and keep aside.
- In a bowl, add soy chunks, vegetables, curd, turmeric powder, chilli powder, biryani masala powder, and ginger garlic paste and combine well.
- Heat a pressure cooker, add 2 tablespoons ghee in it. Add in whole spices and ginger garlic paste. Saute well.
- Then add the marinated soy chunks and combine properly.
- Add basmati rice,salt, fried onions, biryani masala powder, and chopped coriander and mint leaves and mix well.
- Finally top with remaining ghee and water.
- Close with lid and allow 2 whistles to come and then your biryani is ready.
- Serve soy chunk biryani with raita, pickles and papad.
This recipe is a vegetarian option that is healthy and quick to make. Now for the non vegetarian option, another alternative can be to use sausages or beef cubes. But make sure that you precook the beef cubes before adding them to the rice in the pressure cooker. For some added goodness, add some paneer to the biryani and this will become all the more wholesome.