Craving for rice? If you are a beginner in rice preparations, then this should be your first pick! This is a flavorful rice that is easy to make and uses very few ingredients. It is just lightly spiced with cumin seeds and few other spices. You can prepare it fast and pair it up with a dal tadka.
How to Make Jeera Rice
- In a pressure cooker, add 1 cup of uncooked washed rice and add 2 glasses of fresh water. Close and cook the rice for just one whistle.
- Once cooked, leave to cool a bit and open the pressure cooker. Keep aside.
- To Temper: In a large kadai heat a tablespoon of ghee or butter whichever is available. you can also use oil.
- Further, add cumin seeds and allow to splutter.
- Also saute cardamom, cloves, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. saute on low flame till they turn aromatic.
- Further, add thinly sliced onion and saute well.
- Later add cooked rice / leftover rice. for best results, add a tsp of oil while cooking basmati rice to avoid rice grains from sticking to each other.
- Furthermore add salt to taste and mix gently.
- Mix gently making sure the rice grains doesn't break.
- Finally, Jeera rice is ready to serve with curries or dal.
We have used minimal spice to make it mild- so that even small children enjoy it. Now if you are a lover of a bit more spicier food, then finely chop in a few fresh green chillies while you temper the rice. It will be lip smacking.